Friday, May 25, 2012

Gal Musette sucked me in.

I know I said I was going to write about Laura Marling first, but I just got hit with something awesome and I need to share it with you all now.

Her name is Gal Musette, a 14-year old songwriter from San Clemente California. My uncle Kevin just posted her soundcloud page on my brother's facebook, and I got hooked in as soon as I started listening. 

This is music. Music that inspires me to go and start writing music, but I'm so sucked in by her stuff that I can't tear myself away to go write my own stuff. Quite the dilemma, no?

Gal has a sweet, innocent voice and her songs are equally sweet and fun and innocent, but she has a maturity beyond her years. And a personality behind her voice.

Gal's profile on soundcloud.com says that she's in the process of recording "70 Love Songs." That's a lot of love songs for one 14-year old girl, but I'm excited to hear it/them. Right now I just feel like I can't get enough.

Gal plays the piano and ukelele and, obviously, writes amazing songs. She's helped out by guitarist Brent Samson, who I assume is also the one who sings the male vocals in some of her songs. I'm trying to get more information on her but there's not much available. She doesn't have a facebook band page yet, and I can't find her on youtube. But I'm sure she's going to be huge soon. Oh, and it appears that she speaks French, if that's what I was just hearing on her song The Collector.



Turns out that if you want more information, all you have to do is ask for it! Gal just told me a little bit more about herself to share with you all. The fact that she accepted my facebook request and responded to my message so quickly makes me love her even more, because if those of you who know me haven't noticed, I'm addicted to facebook. So Gal just gained like 15 awesome points. Here's some more about her...


I already mentioned her guitar player, Brent. He's 23 years old and has taught Gal a lot about the guitar and music. Their favorite song to play together is "Painted On the Walls." And I'll just quote the rest of what Gal said, 'cause she's cute and can say it better than I would:


"I have been songwriting since I was in 5th grade. 
My first song was called "Fairytale", and I wrote that when I was 10 years of age. The lyrics were dreadful :)
I often now write my songs at 2:00 a.m. when my parents think I'm snoring...
I am planning to continue writing love songs so I reach 70 (in honor of the Magnetic Fields album "69 Love Songs"), and I currently have 19.
I like to paint, dance, and surf, and I suck at all three hobbies."

And who does Gal say inspires her songwriting? Rufus Wainwright, Regina Spektor, Stephin Merritt, and Édith Piaf. So check them out! I know I'm going to.


Gal Musette's songs are all pretty short. The longest on soundcloud is 3:21, but most of them are just like a minute or two. And a lot of times at the ends there'll be fun little weird noises or Gal laughing or just little, pleasant quirky things. I'm still listening to her songs right now so I'm not sure which is my favorite yet. And actually, I don't know if I'll be able to pick a favorite. They're seriously all so great. Some that I really love are "My Heart (Won't Shut Up)" and "Is it real?"




One other thing that really amazed and touched me was how much Gal loves her sisters. She has two songs about them. The first is just fun and cute, written to her younger sister, while the second is a bit more serious or mature, written for her "big sister" Luisa. They're both beautiful.






Gal ended her message to me with, "Ultimately, if I didn't have music I'd be the most boring person you've ever met." Gal, I highly doubt that. Thanks for sharing yourself with the world!


Seriously, guys. Whatever you were doing before you started reading this post, don't go back to it until you listen to more of Gal Musette. 


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this - this is very cool! I listed to this and wow...she is someone to watch. Or maybe she is already there. Wow

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet! Gal is a close friend of mine and I am so proud that she is getting publicity. In real life she is very shy(I didn't know she was even in to music until almost a year after I had met her)I'm sooo happy that other people are starting to discover her. And about her French lyrics, her mom is a French teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jillian, did you hear that she is going to open for the Magnetic Fields? I think you gave her the first interview ever...Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That's so great! I just looked it up, and she's opening for them on my birthday! November 13th. Fun. Gal is wonderful.

      Delete